Apr 26, 2010

Roadsides of South Africa

~o0o~
You know, travelling a lot can get quite tedious, boring and tiring… very tiring. But, if you have camera at hand, it changes everything just that little bit. Well, for me it does...


Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10




You see, I take some of the most boring roads in South Africa and seem to find beauty in them. It is finding the exceptional in the ordinary that makes the many hours in the car so worthwhile.






Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10




My secret? I challenge myself, if I can put it that way. What I do is look ahead, still watching the road, but also the sun’s position, time of day, and the scenery. If I spot something up ahead, I start to plan what’s around it, where can I stop, how is the lighting etc… if It all seems okay, I’ll slow down, double check my surroundings and the safety of the stop. If all plays out, stop, hazards on, get out and walk around to find the best composition.



Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-hCollin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10



Then I take a few shots, different angles etc because I still don’t get it right the first time and one take is never enough.






Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10

I have travelled quite a few roads and have impressed many people with my images.






Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10




Look, sometimes, I do the quick runaround thing because I do have timelines and thus get the images either under or over exposed but usually nothing that a little Photoshop can’t uh, fix.


Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10
So, next time you’re planning a short drive of more than an hour or between two cities with open countryside, look around, then look some more. Pull over, take a breather, sometimes you see things you wouldn’t usually see when you’re next to the car stretching your legs… Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10Collin Scott, roadside images, landscape, hdr, artistic editing, photography, south Africa, Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo, Sony dsc-h10

Bear in mind, these images are all shot with a compact camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment